San Diego police responded Monday afternoon to reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the Clairemont neighborhood. The center, which includes the largest mosque in San Diego County and an associated K-12 school, was in session at the time. Police received initial reports of gunfire around 11:40 a.m. local time.
A heavy law enforcement presence quickly arrived, including armored vehicles and aerial units. The San Diego Police Department described the situation as active but contained and later confirmed that the threat had been neutralized by approximately 1 p.m. Two shooters were found dead in a parked vehicle, and police reported that at least three victims were killed near the entrance to the center.
Authorities identified the shooters as teenagers, according to an FBI spokesperson. A nearby landscaper who was present during the incident was shot at but escaped unharmed. Ahmed Shabaik, chairman of the Islamic Center, confirmed that one of the victims was an armed security guard who confronted the attackers. No children were harmed, and school staff and students were reported safe.
San Diego Police Department spokesperson Colin Steinbroner said investigators are working to determine the motive and the sequence of events. The incident is being treated as a potential hate crime until investigators can confirm additional details. The FBI is assisting with the ongoing investigation.
California Governor Gavin Newsom’s office said officials were briefed and emergency management teams are coordinating with local authorities.
A statement from the governor’s office praised first responders for their efforts and urged the public to follow guidance from law enforcement while the investigation continues.