President Donald Trump on Monday signed an executive order formally designating illicit fentanyl as a weapon of mass destruction, directing the Pentagon and the Justice Department to take expanded action against the production and distribution of the drug and its chemical precursors. The order represents a significant escalation in the federal government’s response to the fentanyl crisis.
[read more]
Under the executive order, fentanyl is classified not only as a deadly narcotic but as a substance that can function as a chemical weapon. The White House said the designation is intended to “unleash every tool” available to combat cartels and foreign networks responsible for trafficking the drug, warning that fentanyl could be weaponized for large-scale terror attacks by organized adversaries.
The designation aligns fentanyl with the federal definition of a weapon of mass destruction, which includes toxic or poisonous chemicals designed to cause death or serious injury. As a result, the Pentagon is now authorized to provide additional support to the Justice Department using military assets, while DOJ officials are expected to pursue harsher penalties against individuals involved in the manufacture, distribution, or sale of illicit fentanyl.
Speaking at the White House, Trump said the scale of fentanyl-related deaths justified the move. He described the drug as more devastating than conventional weapons, citing estimates that hundreds of thousands of people die each year from fentanyl overdoses. The executive order specifies that it applies only to fentanyl produced or distributed illegally under the Controlled Substances Act and does not affect lawful medical use of the drug.
The order comes amid a broader shift in U.S. drug policy, including recent military strikes on drug-trafficking vessels operating off the coast of Venezuela. While federal agencies have reported record drug seizures, administration officials have argued that interdictions alone are insufficient to deter trafficking organizations. Secretary of State Marco Rubio has previously stated that drug cartels factor losses into their operations and continue trafficking despite seizures.
Fentanyl overdose remains the leading cause of death for Americans ages 18 to 45. According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, more than 107,000 people died from drug overdoses in the United States in 2023, with nearly 70 percent linked to opioids such as fentanyl. Earlier this year, Trump also signed the HALT Fentanyl Act, permanently classifying all fentanyl-related substances as Schedule I drugs, closing a loophole that traffickers had used to evade regulation through chemical modifications.[/read]