The Indiana Senate Committee on Elections announced its decision Tuesday regarding the House-approved proposal that could reshape the state’s congressional districts ahead of the 2026 elections.
The committee’s review centered on House Bill 1032, which lawmakers began considering Monday during the bill’s first reading. The measure would permit the General Assembly to redraw Indiana’s congressional lines in the middle of the decade rather than waiting until the next census cycle.
[read more]
HB 1032 passed the House last week by a 57–41 margin and proposes significant changes to both the 1st and 7th Districts. After its initial reading, the bill was formally sent to the Senate Elections Committee for further examination.
On Tuesday, the committee voted to advance the bill, clearing it for two additional votes before the full Senate. Members noted that the next steps will determine whether the measure becomes law before the 2026 campaigns begin.
Republican leaders had originally planned not to reconvene until January 2026, but reversed that position and met in December to make a final determination on the redistricting effort. Supporters of former President Donald Trump were among those pushing for the early return.
The renewed debate unfolded at a tense moment for the legislature, with several Republican senators recently facing threats and attempted swatting incidents. Despite those concerns, lawmakers said they expected the committee to approve the bill, though by a narrow margin.
Sen. Andy Zay, a Republican from Huntington, described the vote as extremely close. He said legislators had examined the proposal from all angles and now awaited additional public input before final decisions are made.
Democrats strongly objected to the measure, arguing that the new map would weaken representation across the state. Assistant minority leader Sen. Andrea Hunley said the proposed districts would leave “Hoosiers all over the state” without cohesive and effective political voices.
When asked whether the bill had enough support to move forward, Senate President Pro Tem Rodric Bray declined to give a definitive answer, telling reporters that the results would be clear only after Thursday’s vote.
More than 100 people signed up to testify, underscoring the deep divide over the redistricting plan. Opponents warned the effort could prompt expensive lawsuits, while supporters urged Republicans to secure a “9–0 state” and argued that the party’s leadership needed to take decisive action.[/read]