San Diego authorities are now investigating Monday’s shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego as a potential hate crime, following reports that one of the teen suspects left behind a note focused on “racial pride.” Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, are accused of opening fire at the center around 11:40 a.m., killing three people, including a security guard. Officials said the pair stole guns and a vehicle from Clark’s mother before traveling to the mosque.
Earlier in the day, Clark’s mother contacted police, reporting that her son was suicidal and possibly armed. Officers were already attempting to locate him when the attack occurred. Both suspects were later found dead in a vehicle several streets away from the Islamic Center from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Investigators also discovered a firearm with “hate speech” markings and a gas can with imagery resembling a Nazi SS symbol near the scene.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said the call from Clark’s mother warned that weapons were missing and that she had observed the teens in camouflage clothing. However, she did not report a specific threat against the mosque. Officers arrived within minutes of the attack and confirmed three fatalities, including security guard Amin Abdullah. A nearby landscaper was shot at but unharmed.
Clark had been enrolled in a virtual learning academy and was expected to graduate this semester. He had previously attended Madison High School and participated in wrestling. Officials noted that he had increasingly been exposed to extremist rhetoric. Clark’s grandparents expressed shock and sorrow at the events.
The attack coincided with Dhu’l-Hijja, a sacred month in the Muslim calendar when millions of Muslims embark on the Hajj pilgrimage. San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria condemned the shooting, emphasizing that Islamophobia and hate have no place in the city. San Diego Unified Superintendent Fabi Bagula also highlighted the importance of safety and respect for all students, families, and community members.