NEW: Former Prince Arrested Over Epstein Ties

British authorities confirmed Thursday that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Thames Valley Police said the arrest followed what officials described as a thorough assessment. He has not been charged, and under U.K. law, authorities may hold a suspect for up to 96 hours before deciding whether to file charges or release them.

King Charles III issued a public statement through Buckingham Palace, saying he had been informed of the situation and emphasizing that the matter should be handled independently by the proper authorities. “The law must take its course,” the statement said, adding that the royal family would continue its public duties while the legal process unfolds. Police also confirmed that searches were conducted at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk as part of the investigation.

Misconduct in public office is a serious common-law offense in the United Kingdom that involves the alleged abuse or neglect of official responsibilities. The charge can apply to a range of public officials and carries significant potential penalties. Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said investigators are proceeding carefully due to the high-profile nature of the case and the public interest involved.

Andrew has faced scrutiny in recent years over his past association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

He has repeatedly denied allegations made by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of misconduct when she was a minor. Andrew stepped back from royal duties and later stopped using royal titles, maintaining that he denies the claims against him. Authorities have not disclosed specific details about the current allegation, and the investigation remains ongoing.