President Donald Trump on Wednesday disputed comments made by Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt regarding invitations to the upcoming National Governors Association (NGA) meeting at the White House.
The annual NGA business meeting and dinner, traditionally held in a bipartisan setting, is scheduled for February 20. Earlier in the week, Stitt — who currently serves as NGA chair — told fellow governors that there had been concerns about whether all Democratic governors would be invited to the White House event. He indicated the association was seeking clarification and emphasized the importance of maintaining a bipartisan tradition.
After speaking directly with President Trump, Stitt later informed NGA members that the matter had been resolved and that invitations would be extended for the business meeting. He wrote that the event would proceed and that governors would receive invitations to attend.
In a subsequent public statement, President Trump said invitations had been sent to nearly all governors, with two exceptions. He stated that his decisions were based on specific concerns and added that both Republican and Democratic governors had been included overall. Trump also reiterated his views about certain state leaders but confirmed that the meeting would move forward as planned.
The National Governors Association meeting is typically viewed as an opportunity for state leaders of both parties to discuss policy issues with the administration. As of now, the White House event remains scheduled, and governors are expected to attend.